Monday, December 19, 2011

X factor and more

There was a time when I thought shows like x factor and American idol and all the other next big star shows were nothing but a live karaoke show. In some ways they still are. But I have to say this people like Simon Cowell are at least trying to find talent. (and making a ton of money at it to boot ) unlike the big record labels that sit around waiting for the acts to come to them. Just mainly to tell no or yes but that artist has to work his or hers ass off to keep themselves on the label with usually no help from the labels. not that hard work should not be expected but help is also. The big labels are helping out the artist that usually don't need help anymore. There was a time when record labels went door to door looking for talent. And they nurtured them along.
I think it is funny that big labels have missed out on artist like Josh Krajcik and Melanie Amaro. They were there all along right under their noses and they were to lazy to go look.
The thing is there is more of them out there. I think the record labels lack imagation when looking and listening to unknown artist. They can't see what that artist has or can become. They only see what is there.
They are afraid to take a chance anymore. To build a career. The want the ones who take little work usually one hit wonders get them in get them out. Make their money and wham bam thank you maam see ya later. In the 50's 60's and 70's they were out looking and building a mountain of talented artist who had talent.
I'm sure most of them now sit in their offices skimming through the Internet watching YouTube clips. Most never really get out and look.
So hats off to x factor and all the others at least they are trying to find talent.

3 comments:

  1. well said Ken. To have the chance to maybe get a deal is hard for anyone as we know. I felt the same about the shows too, but thet serve a purpose and give young talented people a hand in this hard to break into music industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop Crying its EmbarrassingDecember 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM

    I had you figured all wrong, I though you knew you have to work hard to get what you want. This post seems like your asking someone to give you something you think you deserve......
    That's what I would expect from someone born in the 90's but never thought some one like you would play the crying game. Maybe you teach your kids that everyone is special and everyone deserves the blue ribbon. In the real world were most of us live, you know this place called reality..... it doesn't work that way.

    If you want to be noticed you need to get out there and show your stuff to everyone, and not bitch that someone didn't come looking. The shows you talk about are full of zero talent fuck-ups that couldn't make it in the real world. You paid your dues, I have paid mine but yet these kids are at the right place right time, nothing more nothing less.

    Life on the road paves the way to a life long career, getting noticed on reality TV gets you some BS record deal and a tour. They are not talented and they do deserve it.

    Give me the money Simon has and I will take some homeless reject from Hasting or some shit BC Country band and make them a star. Oh wait..... its been done and its called Aaron Pritchett

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the person who made the last comment. Thank you for you 2 cents worth.  I guess you misunderstood my last post. 
    First off I have worked hard on my career my whole life. I have never felt cheated that I was never signed to a record deal or have never got the success I think I deserve. Nor have I ever complained about the success of other people. 
    What I was trying to say was there was a time that major record labels cared about not just making a buck but the music as well. They don't go out and dig in the trenches to find those who deserve a shot.  Like they use to. Maybe if they did there wouldn't be shows like x factor. 
    To be signed today by a major label is a death sentence.  To be a independent is the way to go. You have way more control over your whole career. 
    I love to write and perform my music and hopefully continue to do so for as long as I can. 
    To say Josh Krajcik is a fuckup and has no talent you are our of your mind.  I wish I could sing like this guy. I have never heard a guy sing with so much emotion as he does. He inspires me to want to write songs just for his voice alone.  You obviously never heard him sing and if you have and believe he has no talent. Then you wouldn't know if talent came up a bit you on the ass.  He too has paid his dues.  
    As for what I teach my kids I wrote a song called You'll find You which is on this page, that is what I teach my kids. Nothing more has to be said about that. 
    There is a ton of great talented artist and munis out there still waiting to be found. There is also a ton of crap that has made out there. If the majors did their job like they use then shows like x factor would not be so popular  

    ReplyDelete