Saturday, January 7, 2012

Twitter, Facebook and the Internet

The world is so much smaller now with the Internet. We can go anywhere and learn about anything we want without leaving the comfort of our home. We can promote ourselves and business make hundreds thousands and even millions of new "friends". Without even shaking one of their hands.
It's an amazing thing we can reconnect with old friends from school that we have not seen in years. Or hear news of some child hood friend having a baby. Or even sad news of someone passing. You can learn pretty much whatever you want by googling it.
I think one thing we have to learn to do is not to forget how to meet people on a one to one face to face platform. To sit down a talk and listen to people in person. That old man you walk by everyday on your busy scheduled life might have some amazing stories about his life that might inspire you in some way. A lot of people stay home more don't go out and enjoy life and find things away from the Internet. I am to blame for this too. Here I am writing this when I could be going to watch a local hockey game at a rink or even a simple thing as going for a drive and seeing where you end up. Maybe if we all got out we would stimulate the economy more. Who knows? twitter Facebook and everything the Internet has to offer is a great thing as well as fun and educational . But meeting people in person doing stuff with friends and family is more important. Say hello to your neighbor. I realize I have been living in my home for over 4 years now and I know little about any of my neighbors most I don't even know their last names. A lot of people are like this. It is sad. I grew up on a street in Victoria BC Canada that had about 20 houses I could tell you everyone of their names we were our own community. We did a lot of stuff together, street garage sales. Christmas decorating our houses, parties and so much more. Why? Because our parents knew how to meet people in person they didn't have the Internet and everything that came with it.
The Internet Facebook twitter and everything else is amazing I am not knocking it. We in this time just have to get out more and interact with our fellow human beings. The Internet has made the world smaller but has made the space between us a little wider. I know it's not just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment